Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Hostess" Chocolate Cream Cupcakes

When I saw this recipe in my latest Cook's Country magazine, I knew it was destined to be our next Cookie Day feat. So, even though it's been over a month since our last meeting, I hosted this week's bake-fest with an ambitious goal. The filling looked a little intimidating, what with the gelatin and marshmallow creme, but it was so worth it! And I made a couple adjustments to make it a little easier. This recipe is definitely worth a little extra work! But double it, because we each only got to eat one, and that was such a shame! Ours did not come out as pretty as Cook's Country, but I chalk it up to the fact that by the time we got to the decorating phase, our mouths were watering so badly that we rushed it along to get to the tasting phase!

Cupcakes:
(Okay, so I didn't use the real cake recipe from the magazine. I cheated. But I can't seem to stray from this easy pudding cake version! It's too yummy.)
1 devil's food cake mix
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (4 serving size)
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cup water
4 eggs

Filling:
3 Tbsp water
3/4 - 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
pinch salt
1 jar marshmallow creme

Glaze:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp unsalted butter

Directions:
1) Make cupcakes. Mix all cake ingredients for 2 minutes. Spoon into lined muffin tins (makes approx. 24). Bake about 20 minutes at 325 or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove and cool completely (I baked mine the day before).

2) Prepare filling. Combine water and gelatin (I used 3/4 tsp, and our creme wasn't quite firm enough) in medium-large bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Microwave until mixture is bubbling around edges and gelatin dissolves, about 30 seconds. Stir in butter, vanilla (recipe originally called for 1 tsp vanilla, but we agreed that it was too much), and salt until well combined. Let mixture cool about 5 minutes. Whip in marshmallow creme until smooth. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Put 1/3 cup mixture into pastry bag with small tip or plastic bag with hole cut out (be gentle; my hole was a little big).

3) Make glaze: Microwave chocolate and butter in small bowl for 30 seconds. Stir. If necessary, microwave another 15 seconds, and stir until smooth. Cool to room temp.

4) Assemble cupcakes: Cut a "cone" or "plug" out of top of cupcakes (the magazine used a small paring knife. We used a medium cookie scoop, and figured that although it wasn't as pretty, it was a heck of a lot quicker!) and trim the plug to a 1/4 inch disc. Using a Tbsp spoon or a small cookie scoop (love Pampered Chef!) sprayed with Pam, fill cupcakes with creme and replace tops. Frost with cooled glaze and let sit for 10 minutes (We didn't. Couldn't wait that long.). Using bag of reserved creme, pipe curlicues across glazed cupcakes.

5) Eat and remark how these are way better than Hostess!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I've missed these updates. I haven't made any of them yet, but I sure love to read them and drool. I'm going to just have to do it one of these days!

Jaime Lynne said...

I am so glad you guys tackled this recipe. I have been thinking about it but it looks like so much work. Thanks for the helpful tips and I will be adding this to my TO TRY folder today.